Monday, April 7, 2008

Coping with Acne - Self-Esteem

My parents showed me that being smart was something that I could be proud of. I may not have been the prettiest girl in the class but my mom showed me I could compete with any girl with my brains. So instead of resorting to retreating to deal with my acne, I became a part of the nerd crowd in high school. In the nerd crowd, there were people who too had acne, had no sense of fashion, was disproportionate, or was a loner, but was smarter than most.

What I learned was that my self-esteem didn't have to built on what I looked like, I could place my self-esteem and pride in knowing that I was smart. Wow, what a wonderful gift my parents gave me! My mom may not have bought me makeup to hide my acne, may not have understood all of my concerns about having acne, didn't know which products to buy for me, but she did give me the gift of knowing that I was a smart young lady! That gift has brought me to where I am today: a successful attorney, songwriter, entrepreneur, writer, singer, etc.

Thedy B

No comments: